Old August 17th 03, 10:05 PM
eyelessgame

(Jim) wrote in message ...
Hi.

I want to know if a pointy projectile in outer space does or does NOT
have an advantage over let's say a barn, as far as being propelled in
outer space ( or anywhere above, where there is no atmosphere).

I think I read recently that it makes no difference. But I have a hard
time digesting that.

Can someone shed some light on that ?

You've got it right -- that's why making things pointy is called
'aerodynamics'-- i.e. "moving air".

The reason a pointy thing moves better in air is because it presents a
shape that pushes air more easily out of its way. When there's no air
to push out of the way, it doesn't matter what shape you are. (Witness
the only human-piloted craft ever built for operation solely in
vacuum: the Lunar Module.)

As others have said, it's often advantageous to know right where your
center of gravity is, and to have mass arranged regularly around the
center of mass, because that makes it easier to apply thrust. But
there's no reason to be a shape that pushes well through air when
there's no air.

eyelessgame