Old April 30th 19, 03:49 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule destroyed in abort motor ground test

On 4/29/2019 10:28 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote:
David Spain wrote on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 09:01:20
-0400:

FWIW the conventional wisdom seems to be focusing on the COPV tanks used
to fuel the SuperDracos.

Possible, but this seems odd to me. Neither of the fuels is even
mildly cryogenic, so what failure mode would there be? This isn't
like the Falcon 9 explosion where cryogenic chilling was involved. If
it was something like that I would expect it would have to be a 'one
off' manufacturing defect of some kind, which would lead to a pretty
rapid return to flight.

Let's hope so. Could be a weld issue? Could be a lot of things I
suppose. If these things are made in batches it might be informative to
pull COPV's from the same build run and check them, maybe run some
stress tests on them. It's all SWAG at this point and I'm sure as hell
no expert. Could be something else entirely. Conventional wisdom is
often wrong.

Dave