Old July 9th 03, 04:20 PM
Doug...

Default Light Sails Won't Work?

In article ,
says...
"Henry Spencer" wrote ...

I don't understand the above statements.
The mirror will definitely still be accelerated even if an arbitrary
observer is attached to it.

Accelerated *with respect to who*? Not with respect to the observer, by
definition. (It is not meaningful to speak of whether it is "really"
accelerated or not; all such statements must be made relative to a
specific observer.)

Er, didn't Einstein have something to say on that subject?
/Velocity/ is only meaningful relative to a particular observer, but
"is this accelerating / not accelerating" is a meaningful question.

In fact, didn't Einstein discuss how some rules change in accelerated vs.
non-accelerated systems, and that's why "is this accelerating / not
accelerating" *becomes* a meaningful question?

--

It's not the pace of life I mind; | Doug Van Dorn
it's the sudden stop at the end... |