Old November 28th 18, 04:45 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Here it is: the real impact of global warming

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 6:58:08 PM UTC-7, Gary Harnagel wrote:

So my son-in-law who is a soil scientist is ignorant, as well as his father
who taught soil science for decades. So my other son-in-law who has a
degree in agriculture is ignorant. So my cousins who are farmers and also
have degrees in agriculture are ignorant? They came to these conclusions
independently on their own. Your denigration of the people on the front
lines as opposed to those in their ivory towers is remarkable.

I started out with some people who _are_ "on the front lines".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45715550

Those unfortunate people in Bangladesh, of course, aren't qualified to say if
they're just suffering from the effects of some random bad weather or something
that is really connected with climate change.

I do not really know why people with degrees in agriculture or soil science
would be inclined to dispute the conclusions of people with degrees in climate
science about climate.

It could be they live in a part of the country where all the newspapers
reinforce a certain outlook on life, so that people of all educational levels
are dismissive of notions they associate with people living in New York or
Hollywood... never mind Boston. I live in Alberta, where selling oil is as
important to our economy as it is to that of Texas, so I can certainly
understand how that sort of thing can happen. Perceived economic self-interest
can affect objectivity.

John Savard