Old November 1st 03, 07:31 PM
Lawrence Troxler

Default Aurora in N.Y.!!!!!!

Tom Randy wrote:
:
: Your in Fishkill so maybe you had some light poluttion to the north.

Ahh! Now I understand. Could be. Honestly, I've never paid any attention
at all to the low altitude north sky, because I never point my scope
there below Polaris (GEM user here).

So maybe there was a light pollution element, but I still have a hunch
that it wasn't a factor, unless all the interesting stuff with this Aurora
was happening within, say 20 degrees of the horizon.

Next time I'm out with the scope (or without it, for that matter), I'll
take a better look at the glow around the horizons.

If it's any consolation to you though, the remnants of the East Fishkill
IBM plant is across the street to my south. Apparently they still have
enough money to keep all the lights running all night. And aside from
Aurora's, the south is what's important for astronomy.

Larry