Old August 24th 07, 08:03 PM posted to sci.astro.fits
Steve Allen

Default [fitsbits] EXTEND/NEXTEND reality check

On Fri 2007-08-24T14:39:58 -0400, William Pence hath writ:
if software needs to know if there are extensions in the file then it
can just do an inventory of the file in real time. This is not a time
consuming operation since it does not require reading the whole file;
the software can directly jump to the header of each subsequent
extension, at least on random access storage devices.

Let's do one reality check here.

I agree with the above, but if you meet me on the street I am probably
carrying 50 GB of file storage which can be addressed in arbitrary
sequence (and I don't even know where I could find a tape drive to
read the boxes of 9-track tapes in my office).

If there is anyone on whose equipment the process described by
Bill Pence is burdensome, speak now, otherwise don't reply.

--
Steve Allen WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855