Old September 21st 20, 07:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Default SN7.1 not snuffed in Boca Chica squall

With a quizzical look, Snidely observed:
On 2020-09-20 14:07, Snidely wrote:

Considering what images we were getting from about 1.5 miles with high
/consumer/ equipment, I would be confident that SpaceX's cameras at
roughly a tenth of that distance were up to the job.

If you want to analyze failure, you want 4K at highest frame rate as
possible and that only works with a lot of light.

More likely to get a hiss. Which could still produce snow, but not so
much like shaking a snow globe.

If they truly test a tank to failure, I have to assume that at such high
pressure any crack will quickly propagate and cause "catastrophic"
failure instead of just a leak.

Remember that while it looks like a beer keg, this is meant to be a
spacship and mass still matters, so I don't think they can afford to
have much overbuild with steel.

Elon has not tweeted about it. Had the tank exceeded some target by so
much without bursting that they stopped the test, I suspect Mr Musk
would have tweeted about the success. Staying silent points to likely
some really stupid small problem that didn't allow the test to go far.
(nobody saw frost on tank).

So tune in tonight. And you did notice they had lots of lights around the
pad area, didn't you? Any even though it's sunny there now, the Gulf could
provide a squall line on short notice, I'm sure.

Perhaps even Tropical Storm Beta.

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.