Old January 22nd 10, 05:05 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Diamonds inside of Uranus

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
Wasn't it A.C. Clarke that suggested the possibility of
diamonds as gas giant planetary cores in his book 2010?
I seem to remember reading something about those 'monolithic'
aliens and the new and improved David Bowman knowing
the core of Jupiter was a diamond the size of the Earth?

Ayup, and this became a large plot point in 2061.

For someone who once said he didn't write sequels because he "never
returns to the scene of the crime" he seems to have learned how to write
them in relation to one particular book. ;-)
I'd have to check up on this to see if it's still current theory, but
way back in the 1960's they thought that white dwarf stars eventually
burned out and turned into big balls of diamond.

Pat