Old January 22nd 10, 02:09 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_676_]

Default Diamonds inside of Uranus

"David Spain" wrote in message
"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" writes:

At that temp, does it really matter? :-)

You have a point. It's not like I'm going to try to
melt some diamond in the kitchen oven tonight.

:-)

It's sorta like saying it's -40 out and someone asking if that's F or C. :-)

Plus getting to 50,000 K inside a gas giant w/o convection
may be a possibility suggested in the article, but it
seems a stretch to me.

Wasn't it A.C. Clarke that suggested the possibility of
diamonds as gas giant planetary cores in his book 2010?
I seem to remember reading something about those 'monolithic'
aliens and the new and improved David Bowman knowing
the core of Jupiter was a diamond the size of the Earth?

Ayup, and this became a large plot point in 2061.

Dave

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.