Old February 8th 06, 12:08 PM posted to sci.space.moderated,sci.space.policy

Default Moral Equivalent Of A Space Program

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 05:10:48 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Fred J.
McCall" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

:I think O'Keefe is doing a decent enough job. I like killing the OSP
:and moving towards a CEV. That will make manned flight a lot cheaper
:for the US, which is huge.
:
:There's no reason to believe that CEV will reduce the cost of manned
:spaceflight.

When compared to Shuttle, a hideously expensive system?

Yes, even when compared to Shuttle.

I think there
is every reason to believe that CEV will somewhat reduce the cost of
manned spaceflight.

"Every reason"? There is, as I said, *no* reason.

I don't think it will reduce it *enough*, but I
think it's pretty obvious that it will reduce it when compared to the
most expensive way to get to space that currently exists.

Nope. Run the numbers, including development costs, and count the
flights, and crew trips, for the money.