Old November 1st 08, 03:13 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics
Graham.[_2_]

Default Trash from Intl Space Station, tank of toxic ammonia coolant, expected to strike earth on 11/2. No other way?

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
om...
So what is the difference between this and normal ammonia? I'm not saying
this is what they should have done, I thought at the time it was a bit
silly, but was told then that no fixings were available to secure this
tank into a shuttle.
In this case are we saying it will make it through interact? I'd doubt it
personally, and in the grand scheme of things, the small amount of gass
when taken against the volume of the atmosphere is hardly any concern. Of
course, like anything, I have felt that using the heat of re entry to get
rid of junk was a risky and short sighted business, as this is how we
ended up with rubbish mountains in the plare stations and indeed
contaminated the environment generally. IE we start small and get bigger
and nobody rethinks it until something bad happens.

An astronaut just tossed it overboard?
We should send our Local Authority street wardens
up their to issue a few on the spot fines. ;-)
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%