Old December 31st 04, 04:20 PM

Jax wrote:
I would like to hear Howie's response to this message.

The topic was discussed on the Cherry Springs Star Party list, and
Phil De Rosa e-mailed me to ask about it. Phil kindly posted my
correspondence with him to the list in an attempt to clarify the
details. I'll copy Phil's post, which he e-mailed to me:

I know Howie from his attendance at star parties, including ours, and I
was
very concerned when I heard about the laser incident at CSSP with Thom
Bemus. I also banned green lasers from the MDSP, for safety reasons,
but I
didn't ban Howie from selling them. I also use one at our public
starwatches.

I was very curious why I did not hear anything from him after people
were
going back and forth about green lasers after the incident. So I
emailed
him, and following is the thread of emails:

What happened, if you care to share it with me?

I'm sorry to report that the accident referred to did occur, and
although
it was an accident, I was responsible for it. It was not a green
pointer,
but a collimator. It was early twilight, I just finished collimating my
scope, and two outside visitors from a group that had been invited to
the
party by the park rangers came by and asked me general questions about
astronomy and telescopes. I believed I had turned the collimator
reliably
off by unscrewing the battery cap, and I was holding it in my hand.
Evidently, in gesturing while talking to the guests, the battery cap
jiggled
on and the collimator was pointing backwards. I was unaware it had
turned on
until I heard people calling out. By that time the incident had
occurred.
A am mortified and incredibly bummed out that it happened. I was
most
concerned about Gary, but evidently he is O.K. Fortunately the
collimator
was class IIIa, 5mw , and the contact was momentary, but this shows
that
one cannot be too careful.
I was hoping it would not receive wide circulation, but alas, it is
on
the internet. I will answer e-mail by concerned parties, but I don't
wish to
post anything. It would remind me of gawkers at highway crashes.

Yours, Howie

I would have liked to hear what actually happened sooner,
I think it would have been better if you spoke up at the time.

I don't know what I would be responding to. Do you have any links to
where it was discussed?

Did you at least tell Thom Bemus what happened?

No, but an accident report was filed with the park police, and I
spoke to
them then. I'm pretty sure Thom knows.

Yours, Howie

I think the best thing to do so long after the incident is to let me
forward your explanation to the Cherry Springs List server.

It's up to you, but I think you should only do so if it will serve a
good
purpose and not feed the gossip network. If the thread died down, why
start
it up? If someone recently posted something on it with wrong
information or
assumptions, I could see a reason.
If you decide to, you can post my e-mails to you if you explain that
you
initially e-mailed me, and include your questions and my unedited

Yours, Howie

I am not excusing the incident, but this could have been ANYONE on the
field, and someone mentioned the incident again. I think Howie has
been in
the doghouse long enough. Apparently, he talks with his hands. Must
have a
bit of Italian in him.....I would have never guessed!

Philip J. De Rosa

York County Astronomical Society

12/31/04 addendum from Howie:
The only positive development to come out this that I know of is
that I've belatedly taken up an idea and suggestion that Frank Bov made
to me a few years ago to place a thin full diameter O-ring between the
collimator battery and the battery cap (Thanks, Frank!). It prevents
inadvertent activation from shakeing and vibration. I'm supplying them
now, and I plan to send them to past purchasers of my collimators.
H.