Old March 9th 17, 06:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default First complete BE-4 engines have been assembled

On 2017-03-07 18:45, Fred J. McCall wrote:

I doubt it. Just what would a regulatory agency require it to do,
given that engines are different?

I was thinking about making sure they are sufficiently tested before
allowed to be part of a fully fueled rocket that could explode at some
launch pad.

And how would you do that? What tests would you specify? The folks
using them have a vested interest in doing that, but 'that' is going
to be different depending on the engine.

I guess launch pads are differets icne they are isolated from population
and rockets have range safety, which aeroplanes don't.

first engine produced. Note that Boeing et all wll sacrifice early
production fuselates/wings to stress testing to measure at what force
they break. (destructive testing). I bvelieve aircraft engines are also
tested similarly (to ensure blade containment is sufficient).

Was just wondering if there are similar tests they do. (or perhaps it is
the turbopumps which have destructive testing before the first engine is
put together.

I think there are probably two different approaches to this sort of
testing; test all the pieces separately or put all the pieces together
and test a full up engine. There are advantages and disadvantages to
which mix of those two approaches are done.

--
"Oooo, scary! Y'know, there are a lot scarier things
in the world than you ... and I'm one of them."

-- Buffy the vampire