Old November 2nd 06, 07:06 AM posted to alt.sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.physics,soc.culture.indian
AlexZ

Default Why does Earth's tilt produce summers and winters?

One explanation I have never understood is that we have Summers and
Winters because Earth is tilted.

On a hot Summer day, I cannot cool myself by "tilting" my body in any
direction. My body still gets the heat that falls on it, no matter the
tilt. Otherwise people would have discovered this trick long ago and we
wouldn't need fans or air-conditioning.

So...if you understand why tilt at an angle works for Earth, please do
explain in simple English.