Old July 30th 03, 01:27 AM
Jim

Default Q. Trying to understand concept in gravity

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:01:14 -0400, "Ron Miller"
wrote:

"Jim Jones" wrote in message
.. .
Hi.

If it where possible to create or to send 2 incredibly huge boulders
into outer space from Earth and just let them float out there , would
they eventually revolve around each other ? Is that how masses in
outer space work? They just find their gravitation point, and start to
"do si do" ?

More or less, yes.

What if launched from the moon ?

Would make no difference.

Or, would our solar system reject them? If so, what would it do with
these 2 new intruders, which did not come from way out there, but from
our modest little planet ?

The solar system could care less.

Would they hook up with the asteroid belt outside of mars ?

Not necessarily. They would orbit wherever you launched them to.

Would they stay together at all, if when on earth they had absolutely
no magnetic properties ?

Gravity is the operator here, not magnetism.

Does the pull of gravity get stronger on larger planets and weaker on
smaller planets ?

Yes.

Why do the planets and moons pull (gravity) anyway? Is it because
they're so large? Is it the activity at the core?

It is because of their mass.

RM

Ron,

Thanks for your prompt response and your help in clearing up those
things, but I may be unclear on what you mean, in the last statement,
about "It's their mass".

Let me rephrase my question. And please don't think you're being too
simple in answering:
Q. Why does earth hang onto it's loose objects ? What about "mass"
might I not be understanding.

ALSO: Does gravity gradually drop off, as we get higher and higher
into the atmosphere, OR, is there a fine line where gravity goes from
gravity to no gravity?

Thanks again,
Jim