Old October 15th 18, 08:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On 15/10/2018 13:37, Gary Harnagel wrote:
On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 3:57:04 AM UTC-6, Martin Brown wrote:

On 15/10/2018 05:03, Gary Harnagel wrote:

That's an assumption from a parochial perspective. Why would you believe
aliens billions of years ahead of us would be as self-centered as we are?

I expect if they existed they would be supremely indifferent to us.
In much the same was as we might look down on an amoeba.

They would be more interested in their own peer group of civilisations
that have full interstellar travel capabilities (if that is possible).

That's a conclusion based upon our own proclivities. Suppose intelligent
life is indeed very rare, as some here have asserted, but suppose one
developed early in the universe and have seeded other worlds throughout
the universe. In that case we would be their children and they would
have a specific interest in our development.

I could just about accept that if they really were Gods and were able to
truly play God then we are actually resident in a simulated universe of
their making and that they prefer to watch the ones with interesting
emergent behaviour. I see no evidence at all that they do any meddling.

Multiverse theory permits an infinite universe to sample all parameters
with only the interesting ones ever getting to more complex phases.

ISTR a conjecture that iff it proves possible to build a non-trivial
quantum computer in this universe it considerably shortens the odds that
we are actually inside a simulation in someone else's hyper computer.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown