Old October 15th 18, 02:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 7:05:13 AM UTC-6, Paul Schlyter wrote:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 05:37:23 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

That's a conclusion based upon our own proclivities. Suppose intelligent
life is indeed very rare, as some here have asserted, but suppose one
developed early in the universe and have seeded other worlds throughout
the universe. In that case we would be their children and they would
have a specific interest in our development.

You are arguing for that the universe has only one single
civilization more advanced than us?

I said "suppose" -- it's a possibility.

That is as probable as if we humans were the only technological civilization
on the universe.

Some here have advocated that.

If there are more advanced civilizations than us, it is very likely that
they exist in much larger numbers than just one single such civilization.

I'm talking about BILLION-year-older. We're not that advanced.

And if they exist in larger numbers, and if we perceive them as gods,
then the monotheistic Christian worldview fails.

Neither Christianity nor Judaism is monotheistic in the sense you're using.

Then the pantheon of ancient Roman and Greek gods would be a somewhat less
inaccurate worldview.

Not at all. Those gods were often at odds with each other whereas Christianity
has complete agreement among them.