Old December 4th 17, 09:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Default 'Oumuamua

RichA wrote:
On Sunday, 3 December 2017 02:13:34 UTC-5, Chris.B wrote:
On Sunday, 3 December 2017 07:56:34 UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 8:49:51 PM UTC-7, Mike_Duffy wrote:
It just seems
strange to me that the very first time we ever see an object from outside
of our Solar System, is passes closer to the Sun than any object within our
Solar System.

The perihelion of 'Oomuamua is 0.25534 AU, which is indeed within the orbit of
Mercury (semi-major axis, 0.387 AU). However, the perihelion of Icarus is 0.1867
AU, so there are objects in our Solar System that pass closer to the Sun than it
did.

John Savard

Which natural occurrence would lead to such a [speculated] elongation of form?
A passing stalactite or stalagmite? I'd hate to see its mother planet!
It suggests a degree of ruggedness on a scale rarely seen on Earth.

No reflection spectroscopy to say what it was made of?

From Wikipedia

Spectra recorded by the 4.2 m (14 ft) William Herschel Telescope on 25
October showed that the object was featureless, and colored red like Kuiper
belt objects.Spectra from the Hale Telescope showed a less-red color
resembling comet nuclei or Trojans.Its spectrum is similar to that of
D-type or P-type asteroids.