Old March 13th 18, 10:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default BFR early next year.

In article , says...

On Mar/13/2018 at 5:53 AM, Jeff Findley wrote :
In article ,
says...

On 2018-03-12 20:37, Alain Fournier wrote:

Elon Musk said at South by Southwest that his Big Falcon Rocket
would start doing small test flights early next year.

"small test" ? a 1m high scale model with a tank of diet coke into which
a Mentos candy is dropped? :-)

Space-X apparently has begun to test its new Raptor engines.

For commercial aircraft, they can mount a new engine on a 747 and test
it in flight. (same fuel, and sufficiently spaced pylons make it
possible to mount new engine)

What are Musk's options to test fly the new engines?

BFS. It could be that the first BFS would be similar to Grasshopper or
Enterprise in that it won't have all the systems necessary for
supporting a crew in space. Automated testing only.

In
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...xsw_interview/
it isn't quite clear whether the test if for BFR or BFS. But I'm not
sure if you are stating as fact that it will be BFS or if that is
just your guess. So do you know that it will be BFS or do you think
it will be BFS.

It's my interpretation of what Musk has said. I could be wrong.

Can they built a Falcon-9 with a few raptor engines and a methane tank
instead of Kerosene for a test flight?

No, not without significant engineering, which would be a complete waste
of time and money.

Or must one assume that a test flight will be raptor engines on a BFR
stage 1 (even if it is topped by a cone instead of stage 2) ?

I believe BFS will be tested first. It has fewer engines than BFR.
Also, it might even have SSTO capability by itself without much payload
of course.

I would be very surprised if BFS had anything close to SSTO capability.
It is a spaceship not a launch vehicle.

Hey, that's what Musk has said. He's the "chief engineer" at SpaceX.
Gwynne Shotwell runs the business from day to day.

Jeff