Old May 29th 08, 02:07 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

Default I thought: "There's a lot of jade on Mars!"

"OM" wrote in message

...As for the bit about making Ricky "Silver Spoon" Schroeder gay and
all that, while I did applaud the attempt to add racial diversity to
the Wildfire team, they could have simply kept Ruth Levitt as she was
in the original film and filled that particular minority slot.

Having read the book and seen the original movie, I appreciated that a
definitely *non-supermodel* type was used. I mean, she looked like Billie
Jean King. It was a minor change from the book, and a good change. Something
like that could have worked well. The character could very well have been a
dyke, but it wasn't necessary to the plot- then or now- so it was
unnecessary.

What's wrong with simply making a good movie? Why is it necessary to add
layers of "messages"? If I want that crap, I'd check out some old Soviet
stuff from Internet Archive.