Old November 27th 17, 06:41 AM posted to sci.astro.research
stargene

Default Apparent equality between Jovian esc. velocities and Sol's esc. vel.

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 9:01:01 PM UTC-8, stargene wrote:
Okay, I've never heard anything about this before=E2=80=A6Somebody =
please
explain this:

In scanning the wikipedia entry on "Escape Velocity", at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity , I noticed in its list
of escape velocities....

[[Mod. note -- You're very likely just seeing approximate coincidences.

If I've done my algebra correctly the escape velocity at a distance r
from a mass M is given by sqrt(2GM/r) where G is the Newtonian
gravitational constant, so you're essentially asking where there's
any special relationship between the ratios
M_sun / planet_orbit_radius_about_sun
and
M_planet / planet_radius
There no reason to expect any such relationship, since these ratios
are set by quite different physical phenomena, and the first ratio
may change over time if the planet migrates in the solar disk during
the early formation of the solar system.
-- jt]]

Thanks, JT. You're not only right, but when I bothered to actually
check wiki's data on the Jupiter and Sol values, their "60.2 km/s" for
Jupiter's esc. vel. is correct but the esc. vel. for Sol at Jupiter's orbit
is 18.46 km/s, NOT their "60.4 km/s". Catch me trusting wikipedia as
an authority again. Embarrassing. We can cancel that door prize.
stargene