Old July 19th 17, 10:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Comment on eclipse

I had a look through the NASA website dedicated to the eclipse -

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/science

Of course there is no relevant information as to where the position of the inner planets will be as the moon shields the Sun's glare momentarily so we see whether Mercury is to the left of the Sun and Venus to the right of the Sun from our slower moving Earth perspective -

http://www.theplanetstoday.com/

On the 21st August it would suggest that Mercury will just be about visible whereas there is no such issue with Venus. This is just a normal judgment that shouldn't raise the slightest objection and gives a sense of the normalization of heliocentricity but of course the celestial sphere crowd just don't want to know.