Old March 13th 20, 12:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Why I believe in flags and footprints NOW.

In article , says...
But to certain members of our society, growning certain plants indoors
using efficient LED grow lights isn't anything new. ;-)

I remember seeing an add in a magazine many years ago, it was from some
company selling kits to grow plants indoor. Of course they couldn't
openly promote doing illegal things. But in the add they said that you
could recover your $8000 investment in a few months if you used it grow
"valuable plants". They didn't specify what kind of plants were so valuable.

Yeah, I don't engage in that sort of activity, but I do have a couple of
4' long fluorescent fixtures on a timer in my basement to keep some
plants alive during the winter and to start seeds in the spring (getting
close to that time of year). It's not *that* hard to grow plants
indoors. If I can do it, anyone can.

Also, Epcot in Orlando is mostly cheesy, but I have always liked "The
Land" because it has a boat tour of a greenhouse where everything grown
is done using hydroponics. Combine hydroponics with modern LED
lighting, and you've essentially got what Kimbal Musk is doing in
shipping containers.

The future is now.

Jeff