Old February 16th 07, 10:28 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

Default Bye-bye INF treaty?

"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:On Feb 16, 1:52 pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: You really aren't quite sane, are you?
:
:Clearly Pat is on to something when you use the 'insane' approach.
:
:Freddy, this isn't a totalitarian country, at least not yet; you don't
:have to kiss the ass of the govt. at every turn.

Usual stupid El Chimpko non sequitur.

:
: Pat Flannery wrote:
:
: :
: ::Rand Simberg wrote:
:
: : So? Do you really fantasize that they wouldn't do this if we hadn't
: : withdrawn from ABM? And do you really imagine that the Soviets were,
: : or Russians are, punctilious about treaties in general?
: :
: :
: :http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Why_...tic_Missile_De...
: :The Russians are having a hard time figuring out why ABMs are to be put
: :in Poland to defend the U.S. against missile attack from Iran or North
: :Korea, in much the same way we would think it odd if Russia started
: :deploying ABMs in Mexico or Canada to defend Moscow from Chinese missile
: :attack.
: :What makes it so pointless is that 10 ABMs in Poland are worthless
: :against a North Korean attack and so would only be of any possible use
: :against a Iranian attack that overflew Europe on the way to the U.S..
: :Iran would realize an attack by that few missiles would be suicidal, so
: :that doesn't make sense either, so what's the point of all this?
: :Simple; the point of all this is to act like real assholes and see if we
: :can **** off the Russians, and rub their little red noses in it.
: :With luck they'll start a new cold war, and then we can spend uncounted
: :more hundreds of billions defending ourselves against them.
: :In the spirit of the treaty, the Russians are abiding by the means to
: :withdraw from it:
: :http://www.fas.org/nuke/control/inf/text/inf.htm
: :"Article XV
: :
: :1. This Treaty shall be of unlimited duration.
: :
: :2. Each Party shall, in exercising its national sovereignty, have the
: :right to withdraw from this Treaty if it decides that extraordinary
: :events related to the subject matter of this Treaty have jeopardized its
: :supreme interests. It shall give notice of its decision to withdraw to
: :the other Party six months prior to withdrawal from this Treaty. Such
: :notice shall include a statement of the extraordinary events the
: :notifying Party regards as having jeopardized its supreme interests."
: :Having a foreign country deploying missiles on your border would
: robably be considered an extraordinary event that jeopardized your
: :supreme interests, as the Cuban Missile Crisis showed.
: :So they are now going to have some fun at our expense, I imagine.
: :Our ABMs are designed to intercept ballistic missiles, so I imagine
: :they'll get working on hypersonic cruise missiles now.
: :If they can fake us out by pretending to have some super technology that
: :we must counter, they can bankrupt us the way we did them with Star
: :Wars, which would be quite ironic really.
: :
: :Pat
: :
: