Old April 4th 18, 10:54 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Gary Harnagel

Default NGC1052-DF2 Diffuse Galaxy without dark matter

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 3:04:06 AM UTC-6, Steve Willner wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:

http://nature.com/articles/doi:10.1038/nature25767
[[Mod. note -- Open-access preprint
https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.10237
-- jt]]

That's a remarkable result. The authors have covered all the
possible objections that occur to me, though I'm not 100% convinced
that the galaxy can't be rotationally supported and face-on. The
authors make a good case against, though.

If their result is confirmed then it would presumably put the nail in
the coffin of all modified gravity theories

A few more cases such as this one should do it.

Doesn't the Bullet cluster count?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_Cluster

[[Mod. note -- A few researchers claim that the bullet cluster can be
explained by modified gravity without dark matter, e.g.,
Brownstein & Moffat
"The Bullet Cluster 1E0657-558 evidence shows modified gravity
in the absence of dark matter"
Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Volume 382, Issue 1,
21 November 2007, Pages 29--47,
https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2966.2007.12275.x
or
Dai, Matsuo, & Starkman
"Gravitational Lenses in Generalized Einstein-Aether theory:
the Bullet Cluster"
https://arxiv.org/abs/0806.4319
Physical Review D 78, 104004 (November 2008)

I think modified gravity is very much the minority opinion among
researchers who study this topic, but it does continue to have a
few supporters.
-- jt]]