Old March 30th 07, 05:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 3310

My eye's don't see as faint as they used to. One club member, now a
planetary geologist at Brown University, Pete Schultz, could see 13
Pleiades stars (I struggle to see 6) when we were both in high school.
I'd kill for such vision!

Still that's about what I expected. I can't begin to process a good
image with a moon in the sky yet can still easily see the milky way here
well past half moon. But try to process an image taken on the other
side of the sky from the moon and I'm lost fighting the fog. Obviously
I need lots more frames but still it boggles my mind you do so well from
that location.

Rick

Stefan Lilge wrote:
Rick, I don't really believe in limiting magnitudes as they are as much
dependend on one's eyesight as on the quality of the sky. That said I
can see mag 4.2-4.3 stars with averted vision in good nights and with
direkt vision in very good nights. I never can see even the slightest
hint of the milky way though, not even in the best nights.

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Not being in the middle of Berlin has some advantages in astro
photography! I can't even fathom how you do so well from there. What
is your limiting magnitude at the zenith?

Rick

Stefan Lilge wrote:

Rick,

actually the reason why the new version looks sharper is simply that
I did some sharpening in software while the old version was
essentially a raw picture.
I just re-viewed your image of this galaxy and it shows a lot more
detail.

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Stefan Lilge wrote:

I imaged NGC 3310 on January 25 but didn't get enough frames
because of clouds, so I added some more exposures on March 11. NGC
3310 is one of those objects that are hard to display because the
core is so much brighter than the halo.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/7, G11 mount,
SXV-H9 camera, 42x5 minutes.

The picture can also be found at www.slilge.de/temp/3310-42x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Looks a lot sharper than the previous version. Seeing was better
too it appears. Now that I have the problem with my frost gradients
cured (heaters installed anyway), I should retake it but there are
so many other things I've not taken and so few nights (raining for
the next week) this time of year I'll have to move on for now.

Rick