Old May 6th 19, 07:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule destroyed in abort motor ground test

(Niels Jørgen Kruse) wrote on Mon, 6 May 2019 17:01:06
+0200:

Jeff Findley wrote:

From what I could see from the cell phone video, there wasn't any "pad
equipment" attached to Dragon 2 during this test. It was just sitting
on top of a test fixture.

I wonder how they add the vibrations for the test. I read that they
simulated the launch environment.

What we used to do was what we called "shake and bake" testing. The
official name was something like "vibration and thermal stress
testing". We'd mount the missile in a special fixture in a special
building where we could vibrate the test fixture at pretty much any
desired rate at whatever temperature we liked from very cold to very
hot. If they need to simulate vibe during their testing, presumably
they could do the same sort of thing with their hold-down structure.

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world."