Old December 11th 05, 01:11 AM posted to sci.space.policy

Default SpaceX Launch Update

"Ed Kyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

SpaceX suffered a Merlin engine failure on its Texas
test stand back on September 7, 2005. The
additional testing was presumably with another engine
sent to Texas. SpaceX delayed the Kwaj launch
(originally planned for late September) while this
testing was underway, which caused more of the
LOX stored at Kwaj/Omelek to boil off than would
have if they had made the original launch date.

Personally I am not so concerned by a few delays, a few failures even,
as long as they make fast, cheap and steady progress towards success.

One of my current concerns is that SpaceX will become so risk adverse
that they will attempt success at any price, becoming just another
expensive launch system. Some of their current failure avoidance
measures do seem to be overkill.

I think one of the critical lessons from this development has been that
such a low cost launch system must be designed to avoid third party
launch schedule limitations. A serious development needs to be able to
attempt a launch near every day, SpaceX are not managing once a month.
They are now throwing money at the problem to try and compensate - not
good.

Pete.