Old June 7th 06, 02:41 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe

Default Can anyone identify this satellite?

wrote:
Ted,

Thanks so much for your reply and all of your careful research. I tend
to agree with you that what I saw was Rosat. As you noted, a lot of the
particulars agree with the predicted pass except for the time and the
magnitude. I could have been further in error in my time than I thought
(since I did not have on a watch and had to estimate the time lag
between my observation and when I got back into the house to consult a
fairly accurate watch), and as you say, the brightness could have been
a flare phenomenon. All in all, I think that Rosat fits the picture
(and what it a picture it was -- really one of the more incredible
sightings I have experienced in several years). I'll be especially
looking for this one the next time it makes a nice high pass --
unfortunately, that doesn't occur until 24 June, early in the morning.
If I see it again and it appears anything near what I saw last night,
I'll report back to the group.

Again, thanks for all the help on this.

Russell Eberst informs me that Cosmos 2405 (04020A / 28350) is a better
match to your observation:

http://www.heavens-above.com/PassDet...4.049552 5356

My guess as to the reason for its absence in the general Heavens-Above
predictions is that it was for lack of a standard magnitude.

In any case, the predicted time and track are in excellent agreement
with your observation, and it has been observed to be quite bright and
to flare even than your observation:

http://satobs.org/seesat/Jun-2006/0011.html

http://satobs.org/seesat/Jun-2006/0015.html

Ted Molczan