Old April 9th 21, 10:21 PM posted to alt.astronomy
R Kym Horsell[_2_]

Default Pyramids-How Were They Built and What Do They Serve - Extraterrestrial Knowledge

wrote:
Also note that as a simple matter of physics, that as the speed of matter gets anywhere near light speed, the kinetic energy of the matter goes to infinity. Just another reason why it can never happen.

Proving a negative is essentially an argument from ignorance.
"X is impossible because I dont know how it is possible".
A logical fallacy.

As we know the speed of light is broken all the time.
Shadows and spots of light can move faster than the speed of light.
Even the edge of the univrese has moved faster than the speed of light
and for all we know (we dont find out for another 50 bn years)
continues to do so.

It gets tiresome to see old fogies continue with age-old
arguments all shown to be false in the fullness of time.
"Trains will never be a thing" (the infamous Lord Kelvin).
"Cars will never moves faster than a horse because people will not be
able to breathe". "Rockets are a scam because there's nothing to push
against in space" (NYT editorial).

My mental model of that kind of drivel is along the lines
"humans will nebba gits two Mars acoz it's too far to walk".

--
Top reasons why Mr Stephenson's "railway" will never work:
(1) The project will drain the King's treasury.

In 1830 then-PM Wellesley opened the first Liverpool to Manchester line.
Almost immediately there was a fatality -- Liverpool MP Wm Huskisson
(Tory) tried to cross the track just as "The Rocket" arrived.
It's a matter of debate whether the accident was caused by the fact Liverpool
and Manchester were then in different time zones, some 5 mins apart.
The Great Western Railway ushered in the era of standardised times.