Old December 4th 15, 01:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default Where would our space program had continued to use saturn boosters to launch the shuttles

"bob haller" wrote in message

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 1:23:09 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
I wonder about this......

with a shuttle like vehicle on the top of the stack, ad no solids. plus
the ability to launch very heavy loads when desired.

the 2nd skylab could of been put in orbit, ISS could of been built with
fewer larger modules

no solids to have leaky joints, no foam loss damaging TPS.

and we could of slowly done more apolo applications missions.

was the shuttle ever cheaper to operate than apollo

plus the 3 apollo stacks left to rot in the weather could of been used,
either for the 3 planned missions that were canceled, or for other missions

Slight detail, but it would have been hard to use 3 of them since only 2
flight vehicles were left. Apollo 20's Saturn V launched Skylab. 18,19 new
flew.

The rest of the components are non-flight worthy.

(and as I recall, really none of the 3 on display are fully composed of
flight worthy equipment but a mix of stuff, but I could be wrong.)