Old May 9th 13, 10:12 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
CD

Default The Sky at Night since Patrick's death

On Thu, 09 May 2013 01:17:00 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

I've already got the 20 min version as shown on BBC1 HD on Fri 6th 0006.
The BBC2 HD transmission Sat 11th 1110 is also 20 mins but all the BBC4
ones are listed as 30 mins. I've set one of those to record to see what
the differences are.

This has been going on for ages, the full science version usually has
extended versions of features & interviews. In the very last PM program
with the folks in his garden with their new telescopes[1], the differences
were very subtle. The bit with Pete, Paul & Chris was slightly longer
looking at more scopes. During the bit with the folks & the scopes the
local vicar turned up in the garden with his, but was absent in the short
one.

I don't see any reason to do this now in the digital age, I'll see if I can
contact the producer & ask about this. I read Chris Lintott's twitter &
someone asked about this but he didn't answer.

As for the post PM programs, I think they're pretty much the same, the only
thing missing is the location of PM's house, which I think we'd all got
used to.
Also we have Lucie Green as a regular now. I don't know what it is about
her, but she makes my equatorial goto mount point to Polaris every month.

[1] That program sold me, I bought one of these http://tinyurl.com/cl8bvcx