Old December 29th 18, 01:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Falcon 9 Delivers Dragon Into Orbit, Flubs Landing

In article ,
says...

On 2018-12-28 08:57, Jeff Findley wrote:

I'm sure the delays were frustrating everyone, but this was the first
"critical" DOD flight on a Falcon 9, so best to get it right.

I have to wonder how "critical" this really was for DoD. Certaintly not
a secret launch, and not secret hardware or orbit.

SpaceX close out 2018 with GPS III launch
written by Chris Gebhardt December 23, 2018
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018...gps-iii-first-
national-security-mission/

From above:

first US. National Security mission

and

Launch of the GPS III-SV01 spacecraft marked SpaceX's first
competitively awarded EELV, Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle,
contract with the US. Air Force and is the first of the new
generation of GPS III satellites to launch.

Prior DOD launches on Falcon 9 were not considered "National Security"
launches, from every article I've read. GPS III is considered to be
critical for US forces, unlike prior DOD launches on Falcon 9.

I can see that it is important to get the first of a new constellation
up to test it.

The Air Force wanted to reserve as much propellant as possible to insure
the success of the primary mission. They dictated no landing attempt,
so no grid fins or landing legs on this mission.

BTW, in terms of not landing the stages. Was this on a leftover Block4
or a new Block5 ? I was told the goal was to stop poduction of Falcon9
in order to focus on BFR/BFS. If they get too many request for
expendanbvle Falcon9, won't they have to review their manufacturing plan
for Falcon9?

New Block 5. All flights going forward will be Block 5.

Also, Falcon production lines are obviously not shut down as the
"hopper" prototype for Starship hasn't even flown once yet. So no, I
doubt this impacts their manufacturing plan one iota. The plan,
especially for the US Air Force, is to keep flying Falcon as long as
there is demand. If a customer is paying, there will be a Falcon to
launch.

No sane company stops selling the previous model abruptly. There is
always a transition period, often of many years. They just keep jacking
up the price of the previous model (that they really don't want to
support) until the customers switch to the new model.

Without giving away the details, the company I work for still builds and
ships an "old product" even though its "replacement product" (actually a
rebranding of another product) started sales in 2002. Note that this
was way back when Windows XP was still relatively "new". In the "old
product", there aren't any new features added or bugs fixed, we just
build it, test it, and ship it.

Even when Starship starts flying, Falcon will be no different, IMHO.
DOD/US Air Force especially will no doubt want to stick with the
"proven" launch vehicle for several years.

Jeff