Old November 24th 18, 02:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX gets FCC approval to deploy thousands more internet satellites

In article ,
says...

On 2018-11-23 14:43, Jeff Findley wrote:

You're assuming the lasers are the bottleneck. On what basis are you
making this assumption?

If satellites A B and C feed data to D who must then forward the data to
E, then the D to E link will be 3 times oversubscribed if the first 3
links are at capacity.

Again, if they have single wavelength in the laser, this is small amount
of capacity by today's standards.

I'll put one of my prior points more bluntly. SpaceX hired experts in
the field to design Starlink. Doing dumb things that random people on
the Internet can think of would run counter to that.

You keep throwing up these hand-waved arguments like no one at SpaceX
has ever thought of these things.

And you keep assuming that because Musk tweets stuff while high on
cannabis or other, it must mean that SpaceX has not only thought of
potential problems but also solved them.

1. Musk isn't the one designing the system.
2. OMG the sky is falling because Musk might have taken a single puff!
He's got the reefer madness! SpaceX is doomed to failure! Sell all the
Tesla stock now!

Look J.F., I know people who smoked a bit of wacky tobaccy in high
school in the 70's and they still managed to get security clearances for
their jobs (those interviews are quite thorough). If the government
denied clearances to everyone in the 70's to took a puff or two, no one
from that generation would have ever gotten security clearances and our
military would still be flying F-15s and F-16s instead of F-22s and soon
to be F-35s.

I poimt to you those tweets where Musk announced Telsa was going
pro9vate and that he had found investors to take it private (which cost
him his job as chair).

So sorry, I take what Musk brags about with a grain of salt.

I'm so sorry that the reefer madness terrifies you so much. Those
states that have made recreational use legal (state laws, not federal)
are just going to devolve into chaos and disorder. I guess that means
the US high tech industries are all doomed since so much of them are
centered in California and other states where m.j. is now legal.

Seriously though. Lots of very brilliant and successful people have
very odd personalities. Musk's Tweets are a prime example.

But then again, have to actually read President Trump's Tweets? Holy
crap there's some serious crazy in there (and President Trump reportedly
doesn't drink or do drugs). If you went just by the president's Tweets,
the US would be completely doomed. But we're not, are we?

Jeff