Old November 19th 18, 09:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Niklas Holsti

Default SpaceX gets FCC approval to deploy thousands more internetsatellites

On 18-11-19 13:53 , Jeff Findley wrote:

Starlink just has to price themselves enough below the existing
providers to steal their customers. ...

As for ground station costs, that's why SpaceX is looking to build many
ground stations around the planet. This isn't at all like owning a few
GEO comsats with very few dedicated (uplink) ground stations for each
comsat. This is a network with almost 12,000 satellites talking to
hundreds of ground stations located strategically around the planet to
provide service to millions of customers.

Only "hundreds" of ground stations? I would have guessed at least tens
of thousands of ground stations. Or did you mean to write "hundreds of
thousands"?

Do we know if one Starlink satellite will be able to communicate at the
same time with several ground stations? Perhaps using time-division
multiplexing? I assumed that each satellite would be equivalent to a
cellular-phone tower and would create a Starlink "cell" to serve
multiple ground stations at the same time.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd