Old October 11th 18, 10:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default There?s a new report on SLS rocket management, and it?s pretty brutal

In article ,
says...

"Boeing has been building the core stage of NASA's Space Launch System rocket
for the better part of this decade, and the process has not always gone
smoothly, with significant overruns and multiyear delays. A new report from
NASA's inspector general makes clear just how badly the development process has
gone, laying the blame mostly at the feet of Boeing.

"We found Boeing?s poor performance is the main reason for the significant cost
increases and schedule delays to developing the SLS core stage," the report,
signed by NASA Inspector General Paul Martin, states. "Specifically, the
project?s cost and schedule issues stem primarily from management, technical,
and infrastructure issues directly related to Boeing?s performance."

As of August 2018, the report says, NASA has spent a total of $11.9 billion on
the SLS. Even so, the rocket's critical core stage will be delivered more than
three years later than initially planned?at double the anticipated cost.
Overall, there are a number of top-line findings in this report, which cast a
mostly if not completely negative light on Boeing and, to a lesser extent, NASA
and its most expensive spaceflight project."

See:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...pretty-brutal/

So, we've spent $12 billion so far on SLS with zero to show for it.
Brilliant!

You missed this bit:

"We question nearly $64 million in award fees provided to Boeing
since 2012 for the 'very good' and 'excellent' performance ratings
it received while the SLS Program was experiencing substantial
cost increases, technical issues, and schedule delays," the
report states.

So the schedule keeps slipping due to their under-performance, but they
have gotten performance bonuses which amount to more than the cost of a
Falcon 9 flight!

Maybe a year ago, I quit the Space Hipsters Facebook group out of
disgust after being in it for a few months. You couldn't reason with
them using actual facts.

Yesterday, I read on another Facebook group that after an article about
this report was posted to the Space Hipsters group that the thread was
first locked then it was completely deleted! Those guys can't even take
constructive criticism when it's signed by NASA's own Inspector
General!!!

Note that this is the same group of people that that loves to call
SpaceX supporters "fanboys" and bashes SpaceX's slipping schedules any
chance they get. They never reprimand anyone who's personally attacking
a SpaceX "fanboy". But, apparently the slipping of SLS is just A.O.K.!
Friggin "old space" hypocrites.

I'm not young by any stretch of the imgaination, but I know a pork laden
pig when I see one (looking straight at you SLS).

Jeff