Old December 20th 07, 06:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: SH2-187

It reminds me of a spider for some reason.
Rick

Richard Crisp wrote:

that's a neat object Rick

usually when The Sky gets it wrong so does about half the amateurs that use
The Sky as the end all be all database

not sure if that's the issue here since the sharpless objects aren't a part
of it in stock form though...

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message

Here's another one taken over 8 nights and 3 months due to the clouds.
In this case I wanted a lot more data as this guy is super faint but
that wasn't to be and now with all the ice in the air it will have to
wait for next year before I can add to it so will go with what I have so
far. I don't know why it came out sort of a dirty red color instead of
HII pink. There are a lot of dust lanes and maybe the whole area is
overlaid with dust or my color data is off from being taken in different
months and sky conditions. I just got the blue a few days ago with lots
of fogging due to ice. When I subtracted that out the blue signal was
weak compared to the other two. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I found few images of this one on the net to compare to. One has it my
color, another pink. Many are of the WRONG object. I found more shots
of NGC 7822/SH2-171 identified as this object than I did of the real
one. I don't understand the confusion. That guy is on my list but will
have to wait for next year now. He's over an hour west of the real
SH2-187 and my skies won't support taking it before it is gone.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=5x10' RGB=2x10' all frames binned 3x3 to get enough
signal at f/10, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick