Old January 14th 19, 12:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Do "starshades" make sense?

People here are so endearing considering how difficult they find planet hunting the faster moving Venus and Mercury as they run in front and then behind our central Sun -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VVCiPp67vI&t=20s

All they have to do is match the motions in the real timelapse with models of the same planetary motions -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZFalMW_dq0

The real bonus is proving the Earth's orbital motion by subtracting stellar circumpolar motion and realising the background stars move from left to right of the Sun.

Another endearing trait is that elsewhere I can explain the partitioning of direct/retrograde motions between faster and slower moving planets with the Earth's orbital motion providing the differing perspectives to great approval. Once I mention that the partitioning comes from me then it all becomes nasty while I basically shrug at the lack of attribution.

You people have a sun visor every day, it is called the distance between observer and horizon at dawn and twilight.