Old May 31st 06, 03:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default FITS Image compression, is it portable?

Hi,

I am writing some software to read, process and write FITS files. I was
wondering about the options for FITS image compression, i.e.
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/software/fitsio/c/c_user/node40.html

Does anyone know if other popular programs implement this? I.e. MaximDL,
AstroArt, Photoshop (via FITS Liberator) and the like?

If no-one implements such compression, then it makes no sense for me to do
it either, because the FITS files must be portable between applications.

Any comments/info?

--
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://arnholm.org/