Old September 1st 04, 04:14 AM
Lou

Here is what I observed tonight (8/31/04): Location: upstate NY 43° 14' N
75° 25' W I was leaving my parents house around 9pm, when I just happen to
look up and noticed a nebulous object in the wSW sky about 40-50degrees up.
I quickly got out the telescope and WAS able to view it. (The telescope is
an 8" f/4 reflector, eyepiece used was a 25mm). Did not spend to much time
setting up the scope(has an equitorial mount so it should have been
alighned), just sent it on a semi level surface and looked for it, so I
cannot give you any sort of cooridinates. The object was in fact TWO objects
moving quite rapidly(in my opinion) at first in relation to the stars. The
objects were moving in unison(and appeared to have quite a large distance
between them. In the eypiece if I placed the first object on the lower edge
if the view, the second would be about 3/4's of the way up and slightly to
one side and the begingings of the tail would be about 9/10 up from the
bottom), and the tail trailed the second object and dissipated tward the
south. the objects were quite bright at first, and triled off in intensity
as the sighting went on. The appeard to be moving tward the area between
cassiopeia and pegasus. I was able to observe the objects in the telescope
for about 45 minutes before one was to faint to see (the one closest to the
tail), and continued viewing the remaining one in till it to became to fain
to observe somewhere around the constellation Draco's Etamin. (I could be
wrong on the constelations it was hard to tell) I wish I had a digital
camera setup for my scope to photograph it. The tail faided from view about
30-40 minutes into the sighting, and the objects slowed significantly
(relative to the stars) as time passed. Any one have any thoughts on what it
was??