Old February 12th 20, 12:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default we need more than a single planet

In article ,
says...

The TV series "The Expanse" was one of the first science fiction series
depicting "human" who grew up on mars unable to function in higher
gravity of Earth without period of adaptation.

Yes.

Evolution would likely also make such beings more and more different
than humans.

There are differing points of view on this topic, but I'm of the opinion
(and some experts in the applicable fields agree) that modern medicine
has virtually eliminated natural selection in humans. Using modern
medical practices (vaccines, medicine, operations, advanced neonatal
care, and etc), we save the lives of countless millions that would have
otherwise died long before procreating. Therefore, humans have largely
short-circuited evolution due to modern medical care.

So, why would humans on Mars make this any different? Are humans on
Mars going to abandon modern medicine? Why would they ever do that?

If humans cannot control pollution, resource overuse and population,
then humans aren't smart enough to go do the same on other planets.

This statement is clearly b.s. We do know how to control pollution, so
it's not a matter of not being smart enough. It's more a matter of
politics than anything else.

Jeff