Old February 19th 17, 09:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
R2D4

Default just picked up a Meade 2080 F/10, what to check?

On 02/19/2017 10:29 AM, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 10:08:07 -0500, R2D4 wrote:

Thanks. I just found a slightly older version of the book online and
skimmed through it briefly. Unfortunately, with my only occasional good
seeing here (maybe ten nights a year), I may have to do the artificial
star test but this could be problematic for the distances required. I
may just have to check Jupiter, Saturn, or the Moon in the meantime once
I check collimation. I kept a set of Bob's Knobs from when I had
Celestron SCT's several years ago, but not sure whether or not they'll
fit this scope.

I tried thumbscrews at one point, but frankly, they don't work very
well for good collimation. They just don't give fine enough control,
and they don't let you tighten them down as much as you need. I
suggest using good quality stainless steel hex head screws, and a long
handled hex wrench (at least six inches. You get much more control
that way.

Any chance you or someone else know the correct size screws needed for
this Meade 2080 F/10 with three screws? Also, should the stainless
screws be the same length as the original?

Although it's not a requirement, what I found was the greatest assist
for good collimation is a simple video camera or webcam. You can watch
the star on a screen while you're collimating from the aperture end of
the scope.

Good tip, thanks.