Old May 23rd 19, 11:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default NASA's full Artemis plan revealed: 37 launches and a lunar outpost

In article ,
says...

On 2019-05-20 22:05, Fred J. McCall wrote:

You understand that the Gateway isn't in an orbit around the Moon,
right? It's in a LaGrange halo orbit.

Was not aware of that. I was under the impression it was in lunar orbit.

Orion has nowhere near the delta-V capability of the Apollo CSM. Orion
couldn't be made any bigger and still launch on Ares I. So the Altair
lunar lander, launched on Ares V, would have done as many of the
"burns" as possible. Which seems a bit daft, relying on your lander as
your primary propulsion system, but that's the "trade" they made due to
Ares I/Ares V.

And then to make sure Orion could still be launched on SLS Block I, they
couldn't expand the service module's propellant capability too much, or
it would be too heavy for SLS Block I to launch Orion on a lunar fly-by
mission!

SLS/Orion really are the worst.

Jeff