Old November 13th 03, 06:33 AM
Allan Adler

Default grinding glass perfectly flat

I've only seen the skill of grinding glass discussed in the context
of grinding lenses. In particular, the glass is supposed to acquire
a curved surface as a result of one's efforts.

What if you want to grind a piece of glass so that it is instead perfectly
flat? Does this involve essentially different techniques, both in grinding
and in testing, or do they belong to a common context?

I realize nothing is perfect, so it is also necessary to ask how flat one
can expect hand ground glass to be?

There are lots of books on grinding lenses for telescopes. Where can one
read about how to hand grind glass perfectly flat?

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *