Old November 29th 05, 07:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default intro help

In article .com,
wrote:

Hello all,
Just started to seriously think about stronomy. Work in biology now
using various types of microscopes so I know a little about optics but
am still overwhelmed by the telescope options. Can I get a little
feedback
1) best telescopes for the serious beginner
2) build vs buy
3) support in the boston area

How 'Boston' is Boston? Are you under relatively dark skies or would you
deal with light pollution on a nightly basis?

Like Starlord mentioned, check out his telescope buyer's FAQ -- it
helped me in buying my first scope. The first step is learning the
differences between reflectors, refractors and catadioptrics and all of
their sub-variants and weighing their optical pros/cons vs. portability.

Are you interested in observing planets? Deep sky objects?

Are you mainly interested in visual observation, or do you see yourself
dabbling in astrophotography?

What's your budget?

Are you physically fit/can move a moderately sized scope, or do physical
limitations (ie, lower back pain) preclude you from moving a medium to
large size scope?

Try finding a local club where you can sample different scopes. I'm
already preparing for my second scope (I've been an active/eager amateur
for only 6 weeks), and I hope to try various models at a local gathering
to see what kind of scope works well for my style/environment.

The only thing I can suggest is don't try to buy the 'perfect' scope for
your first scope; I already see myself buying a second and third scope
to fill different visual and imaging roles. My perfect scope would cost
me $10K, and then it would require another few thousand to build a
modest shed/observatory to house it, and then a few more thousand in
accessories -- in other words, the perfect scope will never be in the
cards unless I have a winning lottery ticket in hand.

Don't sweat the details too much -- buy a scope that will keep you
engaged for some time, with the understanding as you (and your skills)
grow with the hobby you'll want to move up to a more full-featured scope.

And don't buy a dept. store/Sam's Club/Wal Mart/Cosco telescope.

--
Jay Swartzfeger
http://www.swartzfeger.com