Old January 12th 09, 02:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

Default "The Future of Human Spaceflight"

On Jan 10, 3:00*am, jacob navia wrote:

The technology for living in space is not here yet. We need

o To be able to resist to mutations and DNA damage much better than
* *now. Space is full of radiation that is lethal to our bodies as
* *they are now.

* *This can be solved by mdifying and enhancing our genetic repair
* *mechanism to be more efficient. As a byproduct of this research
* *we would have a cure for cancer, since many cancers are just
* *genetic repair mechanism problems.

o To develop a closed ecological system that can sustain itself
* *with solar energy in space. We need to develop photosynthesis
* *in vacuum, i.e. plants that can resist and thrive in vacuum.

* *This needs (again) some genetical know how. We need a skin that
* *is able to resist vacuum AND be transparent for our plants.

We don't need either of those things.

http://www.quadibloc.com/science/spaint.htm

Earth exists in space just fine without those technologies - and so
all we need to do, even if it's less efficient, is to duplicate Earth
in space.

We can't live in vacuum ourselves, and if we need air for ourselves,
why can't we also put our plants within the air?

As for radiation, we can get rock from the Moon or the asteroids until
we have as much shielding around us in space as the Earth's atmosphere
provides us on Earth.

John Savard