Old November 8th 04, 09:54 PM
Pat Flannery

Len wrote:

As leader for the first stage on the Coleman RASCAL
Phase I effort, I seriously considered the MiG-25.
In the existing aircraft category, we finally ended
up with the F-14 as being most suitable for RASCAL.

The spacecraft booster snuggles up between the two engine ducts, right?

We believed--and continue to believe--that a new
aircraft would bust the DARPA RASCAL budget, which
it already has.

Our post-RASCAL effort suggests that a rocket-powered
F-14A with readily available TF-30 engines could exceed
RASCAL payload and cost goals with very little modification
other than addding the rocket system.

Where's the rocket supposed to go- in a fairing between the two engine
nozzles, or duel units on the underduct areas normally used for the four
Phoenix missiles?

Pat