Old February 16th 07, 07:52 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

Default Bye-bye INF treaty?

You really aren't quite sane, are you?

Pat Flannery wrote:

:
:
:Rand Simberg wrote:
: So? Do you really fantasize that they wouldn't do this if we hadn't
: withdrawn from ABM? And do you really imagine that the Soviets were,
: or Russians are, punctilious about treaties in general?
:
:
:http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Why_...nse_999.htm l
:The Russians are having a hard time figuring out why ABMs are to be put
:in Poland to defend the U.S. against missile attack from Iran or North
:Korea, in much the same way we would think it odd if Russia started
:deploying ABMs in Mexico or Canada to defend Moscow from Chinese missile
:attack.
:What makes it so pointless is that 10 ABMs in Poland are worthless
:against a North Korean attack and so would only be of any possible use
:against a Iranian attack that overflew Europe on the way to the U.S..
:Iran would realize an attack by that few missiles would be suicidal, so
:that doesn't make sense either, so what's the point of all this?
:Simple; the point of all this is to act like real assholes and see if we
:can **** off the Russians, and rub their little red noses in it.
:With luck they'll start a new cold war, and then we can spend uncounted
:more hundreds of billions defending ourselves against them.
:In the spirit of the treaty, the Russians are abiding by the means to
:withdraw from it:
:http://www.fas.org/nuke/control/inf/text/inf.htm
:"Article XV
:
:1. This Treaty shall be of unlimited duration.
:
:2. Each Party shall, in exercising its national sovereignty, have the
:right to withdraw from this Treaty if it decides that extraordinary
:events related to the subject matter of this Treaty have jeopardized its
:supreme interests. It shall give notice of its decision to withdraw to
:the other Party six months prior to withdrawal from this Treaty. Such
:notice shall include a statement of the extraordinary events the
:notifying Party regards as having jeopardized its supreme interests."
:Having a foreign country deploying missiles on your border would
robably be considered an extraordinary event that jeopardized your
:supreme interests, as the Cuban Missile Crisis showed.
:So they are now going to have some fun at our expense, I imagine.
:Our ABMs are designed to intercept ballistic missiles, so I imagine
:they'll get working on hypersonic cruise missiles now.
:If they can fake us out by pretending to have some super technology that
:we must counter, they can bankrupt us the way we did them with Star
:Wars, which would be quite ironic really.
:
:Pat
: