Old March 22nd 05, 07:52 PM
Eric Chomko

D Schneider ) wrote:
: Eric Chomko wrote:

: Rand Simberg ) wrote:
: : What leverage is needed? If the employee doesn't get paid what was
: : stipulated at the time of hire, the employer is in breach of the
: : contract, and he can quit, just as he can be fired if he doesn't do
: : the job. That's why it's a mutually-agreed employment contract.
:
: The contract is nothing but a piece of paper without a fair justice
: system.
:

: Fear of retaliation seems to be why so many WalMart workers don't argue
: when told to do "off the clock" overtime. This results in many of them
: being paid less than minimum wage; certainly less than the contract
: promised. Corporations can and do operate successfully while still
: treating employees as humans and the common weal as important, but it is
: rare in a society without something to keep greed from being excessive.

I'm sure WalMart doesn't push it. How much cheaper is WalMart stock to
those employees than it is for me a non-Walmart employee? IOW, do they
offer a company matched stock option plan for their 401Ks?

Just came from Arkansas not 10 miles from where the first WalMArt store
was built. Saw Clinton's museum in Little Rock, too.

Eric

: /dps

: --
: Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/