Old January 27th 07, 11:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
atheist

Default Could someone give me three good reasons . . .

"Joe S." wrote in message
. ..
. . . to buy a Canon EOS Rebel Digital when I have a perfectly good EOS
Rebel X, a perfectly good EOS 630, and a bag full of genuine Canon EOS
lenses?

I need these reasons for self-defense when the UPS truck arrives.

Maybe I can help. But I have to start with a small reality check by saying
that personally once I decided to give up astro-imaging, I sold my Rebel and
got a Coolpix S9 for general photogoraphy. It's a great little 6.3Mp camera
and fits in a shirt pocket. I added a 512MB memory card and a spare battery.
It holds well over 300 pictures in "normal" mode, has an optical zoom (and a
virtually useless digital zoom), and with the spare battery I can go all
day, and then some, filling up the memory card with family photos and candid
travel photos, checking the results on the spot.

Having said that, imaging with the Rebel both day and night and sending the
results to my brother, I rekindled his interest in "serious" photography. He
has Nikon stuff from his days of film, but he came over to the dark side
with a 300D of his own. He then ended up with a 20D, a 400mm IS lens for
distance imaging of birds mostly, and then he got into macrolens imaging of
bugs. Amazing stuff. He lives in the Bahamas and has a lot of imaging
opportunities. He tried astro-imaging a couple of times, but it's less work
to go out and shoot bugs and birds. He actually made some money last year
selling his images to a local calendar maker.

You are really going to love the Rebel if you are into photography. The
resolution is top notch. Not to mention the convenience of instant
processing of your results, the ability to toss the bad and keep the good,
and incurring no additional dollar cost for shooting the same scene 10 ways
to Sunday just to be sure you get at least one good image.

Learn the camera settings, and enjoy!